So Classic. Book dust jacket, CD Audio book packaging and iTunes & iBooks cover art designApril 2, 2014
You have been given the design responsibilites for a redesign of a classic book in it's various formats from tradition dust jacket for a hardcover book, packaging of an audio book with CD/DVD label, In-store P.O.P and the digital iTunes/iBook cover art.
You have the following classic books for which to design. I'm so nice, you get to choose one. NOTE: Those students who are taking or have taken ART219 Illustration, you must choose a different book.
- Last of the Mohicans – James Fenimore Cooper
- Fountainhead – Ayan Rand
- Odyssey – Homer
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz – L. Frank Baum
- Guilliver's Travels – Jonathan Swift
- Flowers for Algernon – Daniel Keyes
- Moby Dick – Herman Melvin
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea – Jules Verne
- Anne of Green Gables – Lucy Maud
- Don Quixote – Miguel de Cervantes
- Slaughterhouse-Five – Kurt Vonnegut
- Frankenstiein – Mary Shelley
- Dracula – Bram Stoker
- Romeo and Juliet – William Shakespeare
- Fahrenheit 451 – Ray Bradbury
- Catcher in the Rye – J. D. Salinger
- War of the Worlds – H. G. Wells
- The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – Mark Twain
- The Call of the Wild – Jack London
- Catch-22 – Joseph Heller
- The Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck
- Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
- Lord of the Flies – William Golding
- 1984 – George Orwell
- Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
- The Red Badge of Courage – Stephen Crane
- The Scarlet Letter – Nathaniel Hawthorne
- To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
For the print aspects of this assignment, you have four color process to utilize.The audio book packaging design can be for a single CD or a multiple CD set. You cannot use plastic jewel cases. The packaging must be printed/constructed/assembled to hold an actual CD (with label). I have templates in my public folder for you to utilize or go to discmakers.com and download templates. It depends upon what you want to do as to the type of template you use. You will need to dummy up the packing design multiple times to practice your assembly techniques. At each proof point I want an assembled dummy – rough to tight as we go along. Shelf impact is a crucial element to these designs.
No Acquired images: You have to shoot or illustrate original art/photos.
As with everything you design, you should start with a CONCEPT and sketches of your ideas. Don't jump directly onto the computer – you'll just waste time.
This is a complicated assignment, so get to working on this right away.
Hardcover Dust Jacket: 4 hours
Audio Packaging: 10 hours
In-store Point of Purchase display: 3 hours
iTunes & iBooks cover art: 2 hours
Illustration and/or Photography: 5 hours
24 total hours for all of this.
Due date: April 25th. Done, printed, posted… stich a fork in it.
I have placed in my public folder screen shots of the iTunes window and the iBooks window in which your cover art to be used. Place the iTunes and iBooks designs into appropriate window and place into the iPad (horizontal only) screen grab image. This make sense?
Remember, if you have already done this assignment in Illustration class. Choose a different book to design.