Heads Up – Newsletter from Hell!

Heads Up – Newsletter from Hell!

January 17, 2012

The snowball is now rolling… We have worked on three promotional designs so far. You should be working to revise and rework in an effort to get your layouts "approved". We have worked with grids in type only designs, worked with supplied imagery of varying quality, and have had to develop a concept driven layout with a "striking" vector graphic in two colors.

The next assignment is to focus on typesetting and working with a grid layout. The device is a newsletter. Specs are: 1-color, no bleed, 2-sided (duplex printed) on 11 x 17 to fold to 8.5 x 11 inch. Make sure when you set up your InDesign document to use 8.5 x 11 document size with 4 facing pages. This is crucial when setting up margins, grids and gutters for the layout. You will print on 11 x 17 paper in spread mode. Confused…? Ask.

The content is bland, so that you have to confront the fact that you will have absolutely no personal interest or initial inspirational, visionary ideas to rely on. This newsletter is informational and promotional to a degree. The original was very poorly designed and butt-ugly. Hopefully, you will do better than what was originally done simply by utilizing good design structure and typesetting skills to organize the content. This is a type only assignment – no graphics or photography to rely upon.

So, let me set this up… slipping into my time machine to a time in Kirksville before there was a four-lane highway. Yes, not that long ago. This device is an informational/promotional newsletter to provide voters in the Kirksville area information concerning the efforts to fund and build the four-lane highway from Macon to Kirksville. Sexy, hum? What I need you to do as my entry-level design staff, is to layout the content you can get from my public/ART321 Viscom II folder (hiway63copy.txt) into an attractive, well-designed newsletter. Simple, right?

There is a lot of content for you to organize and make hierarchial decisions about. It is roughly in the order is was originally used, but feel free to reorder if your design mandates the change. Read the copy and proof carefully for typos… again, I typed it and I only have nine fingers – typos are extremely possible. The typesetting rules of thumb we talked about in class will be helpful or at least totally confuse you.

Budget: 6 hours

Full-size 11 x 17 in, duplexed, laser print proofs due: January 20

So, if you do well on this, we might be able to promote you all to assignments that are more fun. Remember, your job is to design a newsletter, have me as your Art Director look at and approve it with little or no changes. My job as Art Director is to proof and nit-pick all the concept, design, layout and typesetting problems that exist in what you show me. I'm looking for the problems – you are trying not to give me any problems to find. Pay attention to all the little details.