The Bacon BabesMarch 23, 2015
The Bacon Babes are the fourth Ag Practicum group we are featuring here on the Ag blog this semester. The “babes” or more cordially the “lovely ladies,” Lizzie Evers, Christina Iacovino, Mickyla Mathews, and MaKayla Nadler, came together last spring with their dream to learn more about raising pigs. Friends before forming their practicum group, the idea of raising pigs for practicum had been thrown around for a while and even been on some minds since freshman year. With the idea finally solidified and the group formed, it wasn’t long before the project was on its way.
The main goal of the project was just to learn more about the day to day of raising pigs. Additionally, for MaKayla, who is looking to do grad school research with pigs, the project gave her the opportunity to research the effects of vaccine on gut flora. The ladies also chose to reach out the local community through helping put on a petting zoo for a local school, visiting with the Novinger FFA chapter, and lending a hand to help a local farmer process her meat.
The “Bacon” of the Bacon Babes were six vivid characters—Elmer, Taz, Wiley, Lola, Thelma, and Louise. Of course the ladies got to know these characters pretty well throughout the semester and here is what they had to say about six:
- Elmer: The Head Honcho. The biggest weigh out at 306 lbs he was everyone’s favorite due to his sweet, teddy bear like demeanor.
- Taz: It’s all in the name. He was the wild child until age finally mellowed him out a bit.
- Wiley: aka attention hog and boot chewer. He was the ornery one.
- Lola: She gained the title princess with her bossy, demanding attitudes.
- Thelma: The napster. She enjoyed naps, sitting like a dog, making noise, and voicing her opinion.
- Louise: Lady Louise, she was laid back, polite, and the smallest of them all.
Eventually, with the end of the semester nearing, unfortunately it was time to say goodbye to these whimsical guys and gals. If you enjoyed reading about them, please check out their full story at either https://www.facebook.com/pages/TSU-Bacon-Babes/704470543006384?sk=timeline or https://baconbabes.wordpress.com/