What is there to do in Kirksville

What is there to do in Kirksville

What is there to do in Kirksville

August 7, 2014

Hi my name is Mary Ward, Regional Admission Counselor for Truman State University with my primary recruitment territory being the state of Illinois. One question I get from students from Chicagoland is “What is there to do in Kirksville?” This is a common question we get from many students that are planning to make Kirksville their home for the next four years. Kirksville is a college town, so most of your activities will take place on campus. We have an awesome Center for Student Involvement that offers a variety of ways to get involved! You will find that Truman students are just as involved out of the classroom as they are in the classroom. You can get involved in one of our 240 clubs which includes academic organizations, Greek life, religious organizations, intramurals or watching our student athletes compete in Division II sporting events. We also bring guest speakers and bands to campus for your entertainment.

The town of Kirksville has many fun and exciting places to visit as well. You can go bowling or indoor skating at Leisure World, see a movie at Downtown Cinema 8enjoy some outdoor activities at the beautiful 3,252 acre Thousand Hills State Park, golf at Kirksville County Club or swim at the Aquatic Center. Downtown Kirksville also has several annual festivals, Summer on the Square and a Farmer’s Market. Plus we offer unique shopping and great restaurants!

Kirksville is centrally located among other bigger cities in Missouri. We are only 90 miles from Columbia, 180 miles from Kansas City and 215 miles from St. LouisKirksville also has its own Regional Airport and there is an Amtrak Station located 12 miles outside of Kirksville in LaPlata, MO. The Amtrak Station is very convenient for those traveling from either Chicagoland or even Kansas City since this train, the Southwest Chief, runs from Chicago to Los Angeles with many stops in between.

One piece of advice I would give to incoming college students is to take advantage of all the opportunities on the Truman campus and in Kirksville! John Riti, a Truman student from St Louis said it best “Ultimately, college for me is about learning as much as I can and trying to reach my full potential, and I’ve been very lucky to do so in a town that has welcomed me and made me feel truly at home. I hope that you have a similar experience living in Kirksville and discover for yourself why this is such a special place.”